Sub 6.5kg Scott Foil 40 aero bike on a budget

Aero bike yet lightweight and cheap, is it really possible? I have decided to find out, but before proceeding I have set the following targets:

1. Proven aero bike frameset from an established brand
2. Sub UCI weight limit, ideally below 6.5kg...why 6.5kg? Well to go 6kg would be difficult on the cheap so the closest reasonable rounded figure was 6.5kg
3. No Chinese frameset, wheelset, groupset, or other critical components
4. No drilling of parts to save weight
5. Budget of maximum USD 1500 for the complete bike build including everything ready to ride

So where shall we start, there's only one place to count on...eBay. Slowly and surely I scoured the various bits and pieces, considering the bidding prices vs the above targets, considering their conditions whether new or used, and below are what were achieved:

Scott Foil 40 Carbon Frameset:


Scott Foil 40 Frameset

I managed to win a bid on a first generation Scott Foil 40 frameset for price of USD 232 which is a bargain, I was lucky since the seller did not elaborate on the size of the frame hence there was very few bidders. I questioned her of the size but she had no idea so I asked her to measure the top tube length and luckily it was my size (54) then I participated with a plan bid with a max of USD 250. It was secured at 232, packed well by the seller, and received soon after.

Scott Foil 40 frame weight
1139 gram for the frame including GXP bottom bracket and derailleur hanger. So basically the frame itself is barely 1000g...not bad for USD 232 aero frameset.

Scott Foil 40 fork weight
Fork is somewhat heavier at 401 gram including the expander plug. I expected it to be lighter considering that the frame is on the lighter side.

Scott Foil seatpost weight
Stock Ritchey carbon seatpost.

Scott Foil seatpost clamp weight
Stock seatpost clamp

Scott Foil headset weight
Stock headset

Derailleur extension weight
I have decided to install derailleur hanger extension so that if I need to put wider ratio cassette, it is just a matter of swapping the cassette...all for a measly penalty of 12 gram for USD 3.2

SRAM Red Groupset:


Having researched that SRAM Red 22 is the lightest groupset around, this was the next target at good old eBay. However having experienced the simplicity of 1 x 11 drivetrain on my MTB, I decided to also build 1 x 11 setup for my road bike especially since I don't live in hilly areas. My thought would be should there be a need for more hilly terrain in the future, I could simply put in a wide ratio XTR cassette at the back.

So below are what has been achieved:

SRAM Red Exogram 1X weight

SRAM Red 22 Exogram crankset at USD 160 from local cycling group member, modified to 1X

SRAM Red 11-28 cassette weight
SRAM Red 11-28 cassette at USD 122.35, used but in great condition

SRAM Red 10 speed rear derailleur weight
SRAM Red 10 speed rear derailleur at USD 41.44. Why 10 speed? Well, SRAM Red 10 speed weighs about the same as the newer Red 22 11 speed derailleur and works just as well with their 11 speed shifters. I read this somewhere online and decided to try, it works sweet. I have documented this separately here.

PYC 11 speed chain weight
PYC Chainset at USD 26.95. One of the lightest yet smooth & silent operating chain

SRAM Red 22 left shifter weight
SRAM Red 11 speed shifter but I have gutted the left shifter by removing the shifting mechanism. It weighs a puny 117 gram as a result, must be one of the lightest shifter around

SRAM Red 22 right shifter weight
These sets of shifters sets me back USD 156.78 in mint condition.

Brakeset & Wheelset:


This is the tricky part, brakeset is important since there is no use to be able to go fast yet you can't stop. However I dislike the satin chrome of SRAM Red 22 brakeset and the option of black is simply not available. I stumbled upon a brakeset called July 20F from one of the German online bike shop, researched it and it appears that this is the same brakeset (albeit non CNC machined) as Feather brakes, as well as Fouriers. Review seems to be good, so I took the plunge.

As for the wheelset, ideally I am looking for sub 1500g carbon wheelset but budget constraints made me settle on Vision Trimax 30 wheelset at 1630 gram. 

July 20 F Fouriers Feather brakeset weight
These brakeset called July20F, Fouriers, or Feacther is a lightweight option at USD 44.99

Vision Trimax wheelset weight
Vision Trimax 30 wheelset 1630g at USD 320

Lightweight skewers weight
Lightweight skewers with the wheelset

Continental Grand Prix 4000 tire weight
Continental Grand Prix 4000 tyres included with the wheelset

Continental Race inner tube weight
Continental Race supersonic inner tubes included with the wheelset

Other Components:

These are the touch points and having experimented with varius brands, I have decided to go tried and tested unbranded components which I buy from AliExpress. Yes I know I said no critical Chinese parts, but these are the only parts on the bike that will be sourced from AliExpress and I can vouch for their durability having used them on my MTB...well except for the dropbar.

Zeray SPD weight
Zeray SPD pedals, originally double sided and weight 260gram. I have made it into single sided and filed away the left over mounting holes to make it to 216 gram. Bargain at USD 28

AliExpress carbon seat weight
Very comfortable carbon copy of Selle SLR Superflow saddle from AliExpress. I have tried them all from Bontrager Montrose (2nd best), Fabric Scoop, Morgaw Trian, etc ..but this is the best for my butt for both road & MTB. Only USD 27.58

Aero integrated carbon handlebar weight
This is the only untested product that I bought from AliExpress, However it turns out to be a good choice, it had good reviews and not only is it lightweight but it is very good quality with consistent thickness throughout, stiff, came with full accessories, etc. It was on the higher price range in AliExpress at USD 99 but well worth it

Scott Foil 40 integrated cockpit handlebar
Nicely integrated cockpit

There were other materials such as bartape, cables, as well as cable housing which was purchased from Ebay but wasn't weighed.


Conclusion:

So after all of that, it was a great success, based on the table below the finished Scott Foil, which is already known as a stiff race ready aero road bike, is expected to squeeze in to below 6.5 kg with the budget spent amounting to USD 1319.

 PartsWeight Cost  Source
    
Frame inc bottom bracket & hanger 1139232 Ebay 
Fork inc expansion plug 401  
Headset 50  
Cockpit290 99AliExpress 
Cockpit spacers & accessories56   
Seatpost218 27.58Ebay 
Seatpost clamp21  
Saddle158 27.58 AliExpress 
SRAM Red 22 shifters268 156.78 Ebay 
SRAM Red derailleur146 41.44Ebay 
Derailleur extension12 3.2 Ebay 
Wheelset 1630 328 Bike 24 
Inner tubes106   
Tyres462   
Skewers46   
SRAM Red crankset (1x)508 160 Local 
Chain234 26.95 Ebay 
Cassette164 122.35 Ebay 
Pedals216 28.02 Ebay 
Brakes246 44.99 Ebay 
Cables & housing (ICAN)~10026.4 Ebay 
Bartape  Spare 
Total64711319.08  

Scott Foil 40 weight

Actual weight of 6.49kg...spot on

Scott Foil 40 modifications
The finish aero lightweight budget bike, this picture was taken with the new Flechtwerk wheels...as part of further weight reduction to reach the illusive 6.0...stay tuned

Comments